Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Passionate Teachers.....

I sent this out to our staff @ 7:30 p.m. and at 8:52 p.m. I had this message from a teacher. How wonderful and refreshing......

That was one of the most poignant stories I have had the pleasure of reading in a long time. I often try to explain this type of world to my students and they look at me with the same blank eyes. I am going to have my juniors read this tomorrow in class, and maybe somewhere later in their lives they will be richer for their exposure to such a moving and provocative story.
--Jonathan
--------------
Dorris Lessing - On not winning the Nobel Prize

I am standing in a doorway looking through clouds of blowing dust to where I am told there is still uncut forest. Yesterday I drove through miles of stumps, and charred remains of fires where, in '56, there was the most wonderful forest I have ever seen, all now destroyed. People have to eat. They have to get fuel for fires.


I'm reminded of my own political science teachers in my rural community high school days. Knowing I turn the half-century mark this month, that is saying...I'm old.

No comments: